Monday, February 7, 2011

Why do foreigners protest?



Why do they? To answer that question we should ask ourselves; why do we protest?

Why did our youth head to Tahrir square on the 25th to protest? What was the trigger? I don’t want this post to be like any other. I don’t want YOU as a reader to close it after reading the first two paragraphs.

The idea of this post was inspired by a friend of mine; she’s half American. I asked her to give me a statement about what she thinks. “I personally went because every day I hear from people what an amazing experience it is going to Tahrir and standing with every diverse member of Egyptian society and coming together for a cause they all believe in. During these last few days, no one has cared what background anyone is and is standing strong because we all want a better future and a better outcome for the country we love so much. History is indeed happening right before our very eyes. And I would be an idiot not to step out of my building and try to witness it for myself. Citizens who have gone to Tahrir have accomplished SO MUCH since January 25th
– Seham Kafafi”

Another Romanian friend of mine said “Because I understand what freedom is and I value it. 

Because Egyptians started something extremely beautiful and surprising 2 weeks ago that made me love Egypt so much more, and made me hope they will have a free country, free of fear and tyranny. 
Because I am against dictatorship, and there should be NO WAY back now, and I am greatly disappointed to see that many Egyptians have lost the cause they had 13 days ago and are being influenced wrongfully by the government lies. 

So I wish I could create awareness about this. I wish I could show them that Romania was in the same situation with the constitution and with the lack of opposition, but it didn't even matter, no one went in this mistake of analyzing any damn law, people knew one good thing: down with Ceausescu!
The goal is simple and clear: dictatorship down! 

I wish that no one will be blinded by the fake promises. A dictator should not be trusted, no pacts should be made with the devil!
Egypt can make it, but has to be ready for CHANGE. And change is not easy. 
I am afraid that those who support Mubarak till September will make the after-dictatorship period even harder than it will be ---- but this is another story.
 I went to Tahrir to see the beautiful people that have their goal still clear. And see how they do it. And to show my support. And to get inspired. And to take the pain away that the other group gave me.
I love the people in Tahrir. I respect them greatly. I wish they can make it. They are heroes!! They are making history

What I noticed in Tahrir?
All kind of people wanting their freedom. There were people hurt and wounded. They were very well organized. Several checkpoints to enter the area. Separate for men and ladies. They had stones grouped in several places in case they'll be attacked again by thugs. They had the garbage collected somewhere. They had many banners against the regime and many funny ones related to the regime's lies. People eating koshary, making fun that it is KFC. 
People singing, dancing, getting married, and praying. Worried peo
ple. 
People discussing what to do next.

Most of the people in Tahrir are people who lost their siblings, parents or friends in the protest and under Mubarak's regime. The people in Tahrir are not losers, and people who are against the protests shouldn't call them that.

People who are pro-democracy have found that Tahrir sq. is the most democratic place in Egypt now. I saw students, famous people and activists everywhere.

– Lavinia Dieac”

A few last words that I want to say that what's happening in Tahrir has affected people outside Tahrir. Two girls who live in my street decided to clean up the whole street while we were sleeping. That's the kind of changed that happened to the Egyptian community due to what's happening in Tahrir.

A few people are calling the people in Tahrir to go home. I am sorry but I strongly disagree. We still have a lot to accomplish and the Regime hasn't fully fallen yet. 

The people who are saying so, they haven't yet digested the idea of democracy and I am afraid to say that they are just a copy of the previous regime. It's the idea that I am right and you are not. There is no such thing.

Foreigners go to Tahrir and help in our protests because for many reasons including the ones I've wrote. Tahrir square is the most civilized place in Egypt now. If you want to experience something that's amazing; go to Tahrir and help out. 

Tahrir has become the beacon of civilization in Egypt; starting the freedom of opinion going through the feeling of total security, no robberies, no sexual harassment, and no discrimination. 

Again; Why do foreigners protest? Because they are seeing something for the very first time in Egypt, perhaps in the world that is astonishing enough to catch the world's eyes without any war or nuclear crisis included.   

Go to Tahrir.

I am going to post again, soon isA.


Watch this video http://tinyurl.com/5u66gkl

No comments:

Post a Comment